Wanborough Scarecrow Trail & May Day Fayre 2016
Thank you to everybody who made a scarecrow, manned the school refreshments, helped set up or strike the may day fayre, helped run a stall at the may day fayre…there were over 150 of you that made all that happen….without you there would have been no trail or fayre so thank you very much.
Despite all the numbers of helpers that get involved, the majority of this help is “on the day” type help and still leaves nearly 95% of the planning, organising and closing out tasks to me and one or two other loyal helpers.
This mode of operation cannot continue and the time has now come for more volunteers to help with some of the longer term activities to ensure the continuity of these two great community events. Six activities have been picked up already but we need another 5 people to take ownership for the following key activities: third party stallholders engagement; traffic management; equipment check & repair; games’ stalls preparation; and resource / rota management. Committee meetings will be few as we’d like your time to focus on task delivery. Many tasks follow a similar pattern each year so I’m willing to share my time and previous materials etc to make the take-up straightforward. Without these key activities being taken on the May Day Fayre cannot continue so please speak to me about what is involved if you’d consider taking on some or any of the above tasks. Thank you.
As we go to press, it's too early to know how much we raised from these events; the poor weather on May Day definitely kept our visitor numbers lower than for the previous few years so we haven’t had a bumper year but we should have made a small profit….more details in the July Lyden.
This year's winners:
Nobody got all 53 answers correct: 4 people got 52 correct answers and went into a draw for the 3 prizes. Winners are as follows:
- First prize (£100 M&S vouchers): Grace James
- Second prize (£50 WHSmith vouchers): Kev & Sarah Sullivan
- Third prize (£25 Wanborough Herb Nursery vouchers: Linda Young
- (£30 Toys R Us voucher): Tegan-Rose Ball
- (£50 Hobbycraft vouchers): No. 27 Teddy Bear’s Picnic, made by the Crossley-Griffiths family. (Who made the winning Hungry Caterpillar last year…… they truly did spend last year’s voucher on materials for this year’s scarecrow!!)
5. What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor?
21. Soldier, Soldier, Won't you marry me?
23. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
24. He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
32. All the Single Ladies
36. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
41. Old MacDonald had a Farm
44. It's a Long Way to Tipperary
46. How Much is That Doggy in the Window?
49. The Streets of London
50. I've got a brand new combine harvester
51. Somewhere over the Rainbow
53. Riding Along on The Crest of a Wave
Thank you to:
- Nationwide Property Lettings
- Barrett Accounting & Tax Services
- Wanborough Herb Nursery
- Bevirs Solicitors
- The Oaktree Building Company
for their continued support in providing these prizes for another year.
Next year’s scarecrow trail theme is The World of Myths, Legends & Proverbs. If you would like to make a scarecrow to host on the trail please get in touch early as we’ll limit entries to 59. If you made / hosted a scarecrow this year, please return your blue form in the next few months so we can get organised for 2017. If you need any information before considering making a scarecrow please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you
Tessa Lanstein: email@example.com
: 07795 057420